Position: Property Manager
Division: Operations/Property Management
Reports to: Operations Manager
Salary: $55k-65k/year, Full-Time, 40+ hours/week, Exempt
Under the direction of the Operations Manager, The Property Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the property(ies) and for the supervision of assigned Property Management staff. This includes working in concert with Resident Services staff in developing a supportive environment for all residents within the property(ies). The Property Manager ensures the property is well-maintained within established operating and fiscal policies, as well as ensuring compliance with all regulatory agencies and investors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely and in partnership with Resident Supportive Services staff counterpart to regularly communicate about property issues and events, and to problem solve resident issues and concerns.
- Ensures the property is maintained physically to meet criteria set by BOSS and funders. This is achieved by working with the onsite Maintenance Technician and vendors to support and ensure necessary work is performed.
- Prepares written recommendations for physical repairs and/or replacements, improvements and supplies and submits them to Operations Manager as needed.
- Maintains occupancy based on the organization’s standard. This includes anticipating vacancies, adhering to Waiting List procedures and selection policies in compliance with Federal, State, Local, Regulatory, and BOSS requirements.
- Conducts all certification and recertification interviews as necessary per program regulation and organization policy.
- Ensures that all resident files are maintained, accurate, and current.
- Ensures rent is collected by the 5th of each month for all tenants. Takes appropriate steps to solicit payments as described within the Property Management Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Reviews rent roll monthly to ensure accurate security deposits, rents, move in dates, etc.
- Prepares and submits weekly and monthly reports for submission to the Operations Manager.
- Reviews the property’s monthly income and expense statement and reports any potential problem areas to Operations Manager.
- Leads monthly tailgate safety meetings at property(ies) and ensures facilities receives sign-in sheets upon completion.
- Manages resident evictions in compliance with court-orders and directives from legal counsel or Operations Manager.
- Convenes and chairs Town Hall Meetings in accordance with the organization standards and requirements.
- Provides direct assistance and direction during after-hours emergencies, as needed.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by management
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED is required. College education is preferred. Minimum one year of supervisory experience is required. Relevant informal supervisory or leadership experience may satisfy this requirement. Affordable housing and/or property management experience is strongly preferred. Experience or knowledge of affordable housing programs is strongly preferred (e.g. Tax Credit, HUD, and Section 8).
Preferred Skills and Work Experience
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills required and exercises common sense, good judgment, consistency and self-control in day-to-day contact with residents and in other business-related matters.
- Promotes harmonious relations among residents, staff, vendors, and persons of the larger
- Must be able to de-escalate and resolve conflict with residents and staff if needed.
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse socio-economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Strong verbal presentation skills with the ability to speak effectively before groups of residents and/or staff.
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to write routine reports and Strong computer skills in MS Office (Excel, Word and Outlook). Knowledge of Yardi desirable but not required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as Emergency Management Systems, including safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Knowledge of landlord-tenant law and procedures with ability to comprehend HUD manuals and industry publications and knowledge of building maintenance systems.
- High attention to detail and strong organizational skills with the ability to perform multiple functions simultaneously in a timely manner.
- Must be able to receive & follow through on verbal information/instructions over the phone, via e-mail and in person as supervisor & management is not on site.
- Must be able to be aware of sounds made by emergency equipment and take appropriate action.
- Must be able to detect foreign/unpleasant odors while walking through buildings, such as a natural gas leak.
- Must have reliable means of transportation to travel between properties as necessary to carry out duties and responsibilities associated with position.
- Creative, dynamic, flexible and resourceful personality with the ability to infuse staff and participants/residents with enthusiasm
- Excellent assessment & problem-solving skills; commitment to being proactive in addressing needs and issues presented by participants/residents
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good computer skills and facility in using Microsoft Word and Excel and in using email and web-based applications (internet search, etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of Yardi Systems Property Management Software.
- Sensitivity to the needs & issues of homeless persons, persons living with trauma, persons with disabilities, (mental illness, alcohol and other drug problems, etc.) Certifications or Licenses
- Certified Occupancy Specialist (COS) and/or Certified Tax Credit Specialist depending on property and regulatory structure or attainment of within six (6) months of hire.
Other Competencies (Skills, Abilities, and Behaviors)
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, memos, business correspondence and all other mental health related documents. Ability to write clear, concise and accurate correspondence. Effective oral and written communication skills.
College level mathematical skills required.
Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Demonstrated skill with problem solving techniques.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, move up and down stairways, talk and hear, drive to and from community appointments. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise and/or level of distractions in the work environment are usually moderate.
This position requires the individual to work with minimal supervision. Guidance is available as necessary, however, the individual is expected to be able to function autonomously and make individual decisions when appropriate. Position does require ability to interact with a variety of individuals and the ability to meet deadlines and time pressure based on the volume of work.
I invite you to be part of a vibrant and talented team that is committed to promoting health and self-sufficiency, fighting for equity, and celebrating diversity and inclusion!
BOSS is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment. BOSS does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs and activities.
Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and individuals with lived experience are highly encouraged to apply!
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.