Email Resume and Cover Letter to contact email:
Dina Mayfield, MBA, MHSR
Director of Shared Services
The mission of BOSS is to help homeless, poor, and disabled people achieve health and self-sufficiency, and to fight against the root causes of poverty and homelessness. The organization was founded in 1971 by a group of volunteers from the Hillel Streetwork Project in Berkeley who responded to the needs of mentally ill individuals being released to the streets by state hospital closures. Today BOSS is an award-winning organization that helps people who are facing deep poverty and multiple special needs. BOSS works one-on-one with each family and each individual to help them achieve stable income, permanent affordable housing, and lasting wellness.
Junior Accountant OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Junior Accountant will be responsible for the records transactions in the financial records of the organization using Blackbaud Financial Edge, the fund accounting software, to track activity in the individual funds.
Junior Accountant RESPONSIBILITIES/STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Data Entry and Activity Processing
- Record gifts and other cash receipts, including credit card and stock gifts;
- Review and process petty cash replenishment requests for all facilities.
- Process all Revenue, General Ledger activity & assist and provide oversight on general A/P, including verifying and entering invoices, preparing check runs and fielding vendor inquiries.
- Process and monitor contributions including monthly reports for temporary restricted net assets and related transfers.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly reports and related supporting documents.
- Report monthly gift and foundation grant activity, including creation/maintenance of various.
- Reconcile AP aging report to general ledger on a monthly basis.
- Monitor cash balances and make deposits weekly.
- Monitor insurance including property, general liability, D & O, crime, umbrella, and health and employee benefits.
- Process payroll withholdings (payroll reimbursements).
- Responsible for tracking, processing, and monitoring client rents for all facilities including related journal entries and monthly reporting.
- Responsible for annual tax reporting including 1099. Manage W-9 Forms from Vendors.
- Prepare schedules for construction in progress.
- Maintain accounting and related schedules for all renovations projects and/or major repair and maintenance
General Ledger Maintenance
- Reconcile Bank and Investment Accounts.
- Prepare and post journal entries including cash AP, pre-paid, deposits and other asset/liability accounts.
- Perform analytical procedures for operating expenses and allocation of employee benefits during monthly close out process.
- Assist with the annual audit and provide support schedules/reports as requested.
- Monitor activity and reconcile other G/L accounts as necessary.
- Assist with implementing sound internal controls and best practices.
- Answer incoming calls as necessary.
- Ad-hoc reporting for a variety of funds.
- Filing and scanning finance related documents.
- Provide support to CFO and perform additional duties as requested.
Junior Accountant Qualifications
- Bachelor(s) degree in accounting and/or finance (Preferred)
- Excellent computer skills, including Excel, Word and PDF.
- Non-profit experience preferred and/or interest in working in the non-profit field
- Fund accounting a plus
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to work in a challenging environment and ability to multi-task in order to meet deadlines
- Detail oriented
- Willingness to learn and grow in responsibility