The mission of BOSS is to help homeless, poor, and disabled people achieve health and self-sufficiency, and to fight against the root causes of poverty and homelessness. The organization was founded in 1971 by a group of volunteers from the Hillel Streetwork Project in Berkeley who responded to the needs of mentally ill individuals being released to the streets by state hospital closures. Today BOSS is an award-winning organization that helps people who are facing deep poverty and multiple special needs. BOSS works one-on-one with each family and each individual to help them achieve stable income, permanent affordable housing, and lasting wellness.
Housing Director RESPONSIBILITIES/STATEMENT OF DUTIES
- Program Oversight: Provide oversight to all Housing Programs and housing components of other programs within BOSS including ensuring successful implementation, evaluation and coordination of services. Ensure that programs are in compliance with funding regulations, program goals, and stakeholder expectations. Programs include but are not limited to: South County Homeless Project, Ursula Sherman Village, South County Sober Housing, Pacheco Court, McKinley House, Rosa Parks House, Casa Maria, Regent Street and the Multi Agency Service Center (MASC) for HUD and Alameda County HCSA, HSO, HACA, and OHC funded housing and shelter services.
- Program/ Staff Supervision: Chair Management Team meeting to ensure cohesive and efficient practices. Provide direct supervision to all staff managing the above mentioned programs. Provide regular and appropriate feedback including training, opportunities for professional growth, verbal and written improvement plans when needed, and regular evaluations.
- Coordination of Departments: Ensure that programs are successfully integrating supportive services and housing components to stabilize and improve the housing, income, and health outcomes of participants. Ensure ongoing HMIS data entry and evaluation.
- Evaluation and Quality Systems Management: Responsible for taking the lead in the evaluation of all agency programs including overseeing the HMIS system, monitoring dashboard for all agency programs which leads into complete agency budgets. Work collaborative with other managers and directors to ensure on-going evaluation of programs occurs and that programs are modified to better meet outcomes based on evaluation data. Provide monthly report of facilities to Executive Director. Assist in the creation of the annual report for the public which describes all service outcomes.
- Senior Management: Collaborate regularly with agency management. Participate in regular “Executive Team Management” meetings with the Executive Director, Director of Operations, Director of Finance, Director of Shared Services, Director Clinical Services and Director of Development to discuss issues relating to finances, human resources, and program operations.
- Keep the Executive Director informed of all activities related to the management of all BOSS housing sites.
- Other Duties as assigned.
Housing Director MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Education and Experience: Minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the human services, social work, or related field.
- Minimum five years’ experience in non-profit management with a proven track record in successful implementation of housing programs.
- Minimum five years of experience developing and programs for extremely low income people including those who have experienced homelessness.
- Preferred Skills and Work Experience: Supervisory experience with strong skills in program development and policy and procedures.
- Excellent written skills, communication skills, strong organization, detail orientated, and time management skills.
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively as an individual and part of the team.
- Strong ability to represent the interests of the agency, interact effectively with a diverse, and be comfortable building successful collaborative relationships with tenants, staff, with community and resource building.
- Intermediate computer skills required.
- Comply with applicable ethical and professional standards of conduct.
- Ability to promote culturally appropriate and gender responsive services.
- Must possess a current TB Test.
Housing Director Other Competencies (skills, abilities, behaviors)
- Must possess a commitment to the belief that all people have the right to dignity, respect, opportunity and full community inclusion.
- Must have a philosophy that is consistent with the Mission, Vision and Core Values of the organization.
Housing Director Work Environment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to Shelter like settings and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. Employee must be willing to accept inherent risks presented by working in a shelter for the homeless setting.
Housing Director Mental Demands
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where standardization may or may not exist. Ability to reason effectively and interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. This position requires the individual to work with minimal supervision. Guidance is available as necessary, however, the individual is expected to be able to function autonomously and make individual decisions when appropriate.