BOSS is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization: all donations are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law. BOSS’s tax ID number is 51-0173390.
If you would like to donate any of the listed items below, or have questions about items not listed below, please contact Gwen Austin at either (510) 649-1930 x 1001 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Each request below expands into a detailed description of the request and how to help.
Do you have a truck with extended cab or box truck you can donate to BOSS? Or a lead on someone who might have a truck to donate? The donation is 100% tax deductible, and BOSS will make arrangements for title transfer and pick up, etc. To donate, contact Gwen Austin at email@example.com or 510.649.1930. Thank you!!
• 5×5 partitions for South County Homeless Project, our shelter in Hayward for the mentally ill.
• A television for Casa Maria – interim housing for homeless people with severe and persistent mental illness.
• Furniture: Leather couches, wooden Chairs or benches, beds all sizes, and area rugs!
• New carpeting for our Casa Maria interim housing (shelter) program for the mentally homeless in Oakland. Casa also needs 2 tall bookshelves, 4 pleather dinner chairs, 1 leather sofa, & dishes.
•Restaurant quality pots/pans (stainless steel), kitchen rugs, aprons, serving spoons, tongs, platters, and bowls for our Ursula Sherman Village shelter/housing program in Berkeley!
• Urgent need: Kitchen mats & flatware (forks, spoons)
• Blankets, Comforters, Sleeping Bags (new/gently used)
• Kitchen Goods: dishes, flatware, cups/glasses, pots/pans/bakeware, knives/utensils, small appliances
PLEASE NOTE: We currently do not need clothes, with the following exceptions – please contact Gwen before dropping off any clothes!
• Socks – new only please (men’s & women’s)
• Shoes – new only please (men’s & women’s)
• T-shirts (large size)
•Work appropriate clothing
A BOSS CTEC participant interviewing at a job fair wearing clothes donated for the employment programs
• TVs – small or large
• Table and Floor lamps
• Area rugs
• Leather couches and chairs
• Refrigerators – full size
• Shampoo and conditioner
• Soap, lotions, deodorant, razors
• Toothbrushes and Toothpaste
• Hair Brushes and Combs
• Toilet Paper & Cleaning Supplies
• Waterproof Tarps
• Backpacks – new or gently used
• Storage Space – so that we can accept more donations!
• A Working Vehicle – van or larger pickup truck
• Working Laptops and Computers
• Arts & Craft Supplies
• Office Supplies: paper, pens, pads, binders, etc.
• Online: Set up a recurring donation of any size or frequency! Donate general support or to a program!
• Mail: 1918 University Ave 2A, Berkeley, CA 94704.
• Paypal: Email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
• In person: Drop off donations at the above address, M-F 9 am-5 pm.‘In honor of’ gifts: Ask folks to donate to BOSS in honor of a birthday, holiday, wedding, or bat/bar mitzvah! We will send special thank-you cards to all donors, and can provide brochures for your event.
BOSS staff receiving donations.
Leave BOSS in your will! All you need is our name, address (1918 University Ave. #2A, Berkeley, CA 94704) and tax ID# (51-0173390).
Leave a legacy of life-changing support. There are many other vehicles for legacy gifts that will help changes lives even after you are gone. Download the BOSS planned giving flyer!
Dudek Making A Difference In Oakland (M.A.D. OAK) This year, Dudek’s Oakland office is raising funds for a local charity, Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency (BOSS), through this Crowdrise campaign in addition to an end-of-summer happy hour celebration & Petra Building mixer starting around 4 PM on September 26th at the Dudek Oakland office.
Vehicles for Charity accepts donated cars for BOSS. Please complete the donation form: https://www.vehiclesforcharity.org/Donate/BOSS.html. If you need help, or have questions about the vehicle donation process, please call 1-866-628-2277. They will arrange everything for you and send a contribution to BOSS.
NO DROP-OFFS: We are so grateful for your donations, but we don’t have space or need for all items. Please don’t drop items off at BOSS sites – we screen donations before accepting: contact Gwen at 510.649.1930 x1001, email@example.com.
Stocks: BOSS has an account at Schwab (acct#5498-2633, DTC# 0164) so you can donate stock any time. Charitable Gift Transfer Form (LOA)
Long-term giving: Bequests, life insurance, retirement plans or charitable trusts with BOSS as beneficiary can provide legacy support for poor people in your name. If you have named BOSS in your will, we would love to share your story! Contact Sonja, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cars: Volunteers of America accepts donated cars for BOSS: 1-800-559-5458.They will pick up the car, process the sale and paperwork, and send a contribution to BOSS.
BART tickets: Donate your tiny unused BART tickets to BOSS! Mail or drop off at: 1918 University Ave. #2A, Berkeley, CA 94704.
Collections: Collect toiletries, towels, linens, and other needed items with your school, office, group, or club. To donate in-kind goods, contact Gwen at (510) 649-1930 x 1001.
AmazonSmile: Select BOSS as your charity: 0.5% of your Amazon purchases will go to BOSS!
iGive.com: Shopping mall and search engine with over 800 stores – designate BOSS as your chosen charity!
GoodSearch/GoodShop: Shopping mall and search engine with over 1,500 stores.
eBay Giving Works: Sell your stuff on eBay to benefit BOSS – designated BOSS as your chosen charity.
BOSS is a member of the Bay Area Black United Fund. If your workplace hosts other charitable federations, you can still write BOSS in as your donation recipient. BOSS is also Combined Federal Campaign-approved charity (CFC code 29959). Ask your employer if they have a gift matching program!
If you would like a BOSS speaker to come to your workplace or group, please contact Sonja at (510) 649-1930 x 1008.
Over the years homeless children in BOSS housing have made beautiful art while working in our after-school Children’s Learning Center. Blank cards with some of this artwork is available for purchase – a pack of 10 cards for $10 (including envelopes). The art in each pack is randomly mixed.
Funds raised through card sales support the Children’s Learning Center – Thank you!