BOSS wants to express a huge heartfelt thank-you to Nonstop HR, Pican Restaurant, our amazing guest bartenders, and all the guests and friends who showed up for the BOSS FUNdraising mixer on August 12th!
The mixer was sponsored by Nonstop HR, who paid for delicious complimentary appetizers, and Pican Restaurant, who prepared the appetizers, trained and supervised our guest bartenders (thank you, James, and also Dean, Marcel & Janna!), and provided the beautiful setting.
The charming and beautiful Marianela Mendoza, Events Manager for Pican, served as liaison between Nonstop HR, BOSS staff and guests, and Pican staff, to ensure a smooth and fun evening.
“The community has really supported Pican, so Pican loves supporting the community!” said Marianela.
About 75 people came and went during the evening, including local business and corporate partners, colleagues from other community-based agencies, friends of the guest bartenders, and BOSS staff, family members, and Board Members. The evening was continually lively, with BOSS staff shaking noisemakers and calling out all cash tippers—all cash tips for the evening went to BOSS to support our housing and service programs!
A steady flow of amazing Pican appetizers including crab dip, baked dates, vegetable flatbread, ribs, and more, kept guests happy, while drinks poured by guest bartenders kept them entertained—special drinks created for the BOSS mixer included Headed Home (with alcohol) and Safe and Sound (without alcohol).
Guest bartenders included the beautiful, talented, and generous:
- Orson Aguilar, Executive Director of Greenlining Institute – whose dashing smile kept guests glued to the bar…
- Zachary Norris, Executive Director of Ella Baker Center – whose gentle nature belies a talented drink slinger!
- Dale Marie Golden, Vice President of Torrey Pines Bank – who was the hit of the party and star tip wrangler…
- Paula Welsh, Owner of Welsh Marketing & PR Group – whose quips reminded us why she’s a local marketing guru; and
- Roman Fan of Korman & Ng Realty – whose 10 years of prior bartending experience allowed him to simultaneously mix drinks, close deals via text, and entertain his wife and her parents at a birthday dinner in the dining room next door!
All of us at BOSS had a wonderful evening—besides raising the money, the event helped us meet new supporters, thank lots of current ones, and raise awareness about the work we do in the community, helping people achieve jobs, housing, and hope for their futures.