JOB TITLE: Maintenance Worker
REPORTS TO: Manager of Operations
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time, 40 hours/week
BARGANING UNIT: Eligible representation by the California Professional Employees, #2345
SALARY RANGE: $20.19/hr – $24.00/hr depending on experience
NOTICE: This job description is provided as a general summary of common job duties performed by individuals assigned this job title. It is not all-inclusive, nor is it intended to create a contract, written or implied, between employees and Building Opportunities for Self Sufficiency, nor does it in any way alter the employment-at-will relationship that exists between employees and Building Opportunities for Self Sufficiency. As a condition of employment, all agency employees are expected to perform job duties assigned by agency management even when such duties are not included in their job description.
The mission of BOSS is to help homeless, poor, and disabled people achieve health and self-sufficiency, and to fight against the root causes of poverty and homelessness. The organization was founded in 1971 by a group of volunteers from the Hillel Streetwork Project in Berkeley who responded to the needs of mentally ill individuals being released to the streets by state hospital closures. Today, BOSS develops solutions to mass homelessness, mass incarceration and community violence and is dedicated to the inclusion of people marginalized by addiction, trauma, criminality, incarceration, poverty, racism, sexism, homelessness and violence with an intentional focus on four areas of service with Housing Security, Criminal Justice Reentry, Neighborhood Safety, and Social Justice Programs and services. BOSS works one-on-one with each family and each individual to help them achieve stable income, permanent affordable housing, and lasting wellness.
BOSS is hiring a maintenance worker to join our maintenance team. You will inspect different equipment and perform any basic repairs or preventative maintenance when required. To do well in this role you should have previous experience in maintenance, be highly skilled with various hand and power tools, and be able to read blueprints and repair manuals.
Essential Functions (Duties and Responsibilities):
- Conducting routine inspections of premises and equipment.
- Performing preventative maintenance.
- Handling basic repairs and maintenance.
- Overseeing contractors when professional repairs are necessary.
- Diagnosing mechanical issues and correcting them.
- Repairing machines, equipment, or structures as necessary.
- Inspect buildings, equipment and appliances for functionality, checking for faults and fixing them where they exist to keep all things running and functioning properly; also, make provision for replacement of old and damaged appliances
- Create and implement property maintenance policies and standards to serve as guide to other property workers in a bid to prevent misuse of property appliances which could result to damage
- Develop and maintain a good relationship with contractors, vendors, and site workers to get the best bargains on property repairs, supplies, and maintenance
- Ensure that properties are safe and void of any danger to their occupants, visitors, and workers by putting away harmful objects and equipment, and putting in place machinery to handle emergencies, such as fire outbreaks; and create exit routes with proper direction for easy location during emergencies
- Diagnose problems with appliances and facilitate their prompt repairs for the convenience of property users, and carry out repairs on minor problems, such as light fixtures, clogged toilets, leakages, peeling wall and furniture
- Check electrical wiring for accuracy and compliance with regulatory standards to avoid accidents
- Maintain open communication with property owners, liaising with consultants and property managers for information regarding operations, renovations, and authorizations
- Clean and prepare vacated buildings and rooms, getting them ready for new occupants to move in
- Supervise the regular cleaning of the swimming pool to promote good hygiene in the environment
- Design plan and schedule for works to be executed on properties
- Conduct training for new maintenance workers to get them acquainted with the job
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- General maintenance skills: With good maintenance skills, the technician will know how things work and how to keep the place organized, as well as how to tackle maintenance tasks in a fast and easy manner
- Proven maintenance experience.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Related degree from a technical college.
- Skilled in the use of hand and power tools.
- Ability to take apart machines, equipment, or devices to remove and replace defective parts.
- Ability to check blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs as necessary.
- Ability to use common tools such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches.
- Experience with precision measuring instruments or electronic testing devices.
- Experience performing routine maintenance.
- Strong organizational and follow up skills.
- Eye for detail.
- Professional presentation and attitude.
- Ability to maintain focus while working individually.
- Strong time management skills.
- Mechanical skills: The maintenance technician is required to have mechanical skills to handle minor repairs and fixtures
- Knowledge of electricity: Knowing how electricity works will help the technician to diagnose electrical problems and carry out minor repairs
- Verbal and written communication skills: The property maintenance technician needs to have strong communications skills for effective delivery of information to clients, colleagues, and management
Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, memos, business correspondence and all other mental health related documents. Ability to write clear, concise and accurate correspondence. Effective oral and written communication skills.
Ability to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Demonstrated skill with problem solving techniques.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, move up and down stairways, talk and hear, drive to and from community appointments. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision.
This position requires the individual to work with minimal supervision. Guidance is available as necessary, however, the individual is expected to be able to function autonomously and make individual decisions when appropriate. Position does require ability to interact with a variety of individuals and the ability to meet deadlines and time pressure based on the volume of work.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise and/or level of distractions in the work environment are usually moderate.
I invite you to be part of a vibrant and talented team that is committed to promoting health and self-sufficiency, fighting for equity, and celebrating diversity and inclusion!
BOSS is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment. BOSS does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs and activities.
We believe that we make better decisions and provide quality services when our workforce reflects the diversity of the populations we serve. Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) make up nearly 90% of our workforce and we strive to recruit and retain employees with lived experience.
Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org