The BOSS Board of Directors governs the award-winning work of BOSS across Alameda County. While day-to-day operations are led by BOSS Executive Director (ED), Board Members provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about BOSS’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership.
RESPONSIBILITIES of Board Members:
Board members advise the ED in implementation of the agency strategic plan; review outcomes and metrics to help BOSS evaluate its impact; review agenda and supporting materials prior to Board and committee meetings; approve the annual budget and audit reports; ensure that the agency meets all legal and fiduciary responsibilities; help evaluate and support the ED; assist with ensuring a diverse and well trained Board; participate in working committees; and represent BOSS in the community.
Board Members will consider BOSS a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. BOSS expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Service on BOSS’s Board of Directors is voluntary and without remuneration. The full Board meets quarterly, usually on a Monday at 6PM (virtually). Committees meet monthly or as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS of ideal candidates:
- Extensive experience with executive leadership accomplishments in public, private or nonprofit sectors (experience currently sought in real estate, health/human services, or law enforcement)
- A commitment to and understanding of the communities BOSS serves
- BOSS values diversity and actively seeks Black Indigenous Persons of Color (BIPOC)
- Lived experience is a plus (justice system involvement, homelessness, poverty)
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of BOSS’s beneficiaries
BENEFITS of Board Membership:
Being part of the BOSS Board will give you invaluable on-the-ground experience in the fight against poverty and homelessness, and a deep understanding of the network of local, state, and national public and private agencies that are working to make a difference.
Board Membership brings networking opportunities, the opportunity to take part in exciting local events, training and skill-building, new friendships, and lifelong inspiration!
Thank you for your interest in being part of our team!