JOB TITLE: Janitorial Worker
REPORTS TO: Manager of Operations
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-Time, 40 hours/week
TIME COMMITMENT: Full-time
BARGANING UNIT: Eligible representation by the California Professional Employees, #2345
SALARY RANGE: $20.19/hr – $24.00/hr depending on experience
NOTICE: This job description is provided as a general summary of common job duties performed by individuals assigned this job title. It is not all-inclusive, nor is it intended to create a contract, written or implied, between employees and Building Opportunities for Self Sufficiency, nor does it in any way alter the employment-at-will relationship that exists between employees and Building Opportunities for Self Sufficiency. As a condition of employment, all agency employees are expected to perform job duties assigned by agency management even when such duties are not included in their job description.
BOSS is hiring a Janitor worker to join our maintenance team. We are looking for a Janitor, or Custodian, to take care of our building and carry out cleaning, maintenance and security duties. The goal is to keep our building in a clean and orderly condition.
Essential Functions (Duties and Responsibilities):
- Conducting routine inspections of premises and equipment.
- Performing preventative maintenance.
- Handling basic repairs and maintenance.
- Clean building floors by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, or vacuuming them
- Clean windows and mirrors
- Clean and supply restrooms
- Remove waste and empty trash
- Maintain cleaning chart indicating areas that were cleaned and inspected
- Replenish cleaning and maintenance supplies
- Organize janitorial storage areas
- Notify supervisors about unsafe conditions or concerning the need for repairs or maintenance
- Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created.
- Steam-clean carpets.
- Use cleaning solutions to remove stains and clean surfaces.
- Mix various cleaning agents.
- Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
- Dust furniture and scrub surfaces clean.
- Clean and service restrooms with mops and disinfectants.
- Mow lawns, trim shrubbery, plant flowers, and apply pesticides.
- Move heavy equipment and furniture.
- Identify and report possible repairs.
- Fix minor plumbing leaks.
- Shovel snow from sidewalks and sprinkle salt on surface.
- Spray insecticides and fumigants to prevent insect and rodent infestation.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Ability to observe safety and security procedures and to comply with policies
- Ability to read and interpret written information; ability to write clear statements; ability to communicate orally
- Must be able to do physical work and operate power equipment normally found in janitorial operations
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow schedules and keep commitments
- Ability to follow directions from a supervisor
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism
- Must be able to manage time efficiently and to work individually as well as within a team
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, move up and down stairways, talk and hear, drive to and from community appointments. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise and/or level of distractions in the work environment are usually moderate.
We invite you to be part of a vibrant and talented team that is committed to promoting health and self-sufficiency, fighting for equity, and celebrating diversity and inclusion!
BOSS is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in education and employment. BOSS does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, creed, national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability in admission to, access to, treatment in, or employment in its programs and activities.
Send resume and cover letter to: Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org
Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and individuals with lived experience are highly encouraged to apply!