BOSS was founded in 1971 by a group of volunteers from Berkeley’s Jewish community who saw the need to reach out to and support to an emerging homeless population, and this same sense of community and selflessness still exists today. Every year, we work in partnership with some truly inspirational, generous individuals and groups in the community, who help make sure the people BOSS serves receive warmth, joy, comfort, and the knowledge that they are not forgotten.
From food, blankets, and toiletries for Thanksgiving to gifts, blankets, clothing, and other Christmas goodies to all the men, women, and children in BOSS this past holiday season, we are thankful to everyone who made this 2019 holiday season special:
- Berkeley Holiday Fund
- Black Pine Circle School, Berkeley
- Brownie Troop 33987 & Patsy Dugger
- City of Berkeley, Department of Parks & Recreation
- Duck’s Nest Preschool, Berkeley
- ELS Architecture and Urban Design, Berkeley
- Family Giving Tree
- Girl Scout Troop #30647 & Martha Sellers
- Head Royce School, Oakland
- KONO (Koreatown Northgate) and Oakland First Fridays
- Monticello Academy, Santa Clara
- Prospect Sierra School, El Cerrito
- UC Berkeley — Supply Chain Management & Supply Chain Solutions
- Barbara Cohen
- Julie Absey
- Melanie Moore
Plus coat drives made possible by One Warm Coat:
- Ecology Center & UC Berkeley
- Fourth Street Berkeley
- UC Berkeley – Athletics Administration Team
The holidays can bring a lot of stress and pain for people who are experiencing homelessness and crisis, but with your support, the people BOSS serves had warm and enjoyable holidays, with special meals, parties, decorations, and gifts!
Let’s begin the new year with a sense of being part of a bigger community where everyone recognizes each person’s value, dignity, and humanity.
To organize a collection of needed items at any time during the year, contact Gwen Austin, BOSS Community Builder & Development Associate, at 510.649.1930 x 1001 or email@example.com.